How Property Managers Can Budget for Asphalt Repairs
Asphalt pavement represents a significant asset. Like all assets, you hope to reap the best return on your initial investment. The best way to achieve this goal is to ensure that your pavement receives proper care. However, it can sometimes prove challenging to forecast your asphalt maintenance needs when it is time to prepare your yearly budget. The asphalt paving contractors at B&E Coating Services have provided the following tips and recommendations on how you can budget for asphalt repair!
- Cracks greater than 0.25-inch need to be filled or sealed. Cracks allow water to seep under the pavement and undermine its base. Asphalt pavement lacking a stable base loses its ability to withstand the loads placed upon it. You could wind up with a much more expensive repair in the near future.
- Potholes also pose a risk to the base’s integrity, so they need to be repaired. It is advisable to have both cracks and potholes fixed before the arrival of cold weather as they could grow significantly worse by spring.
- Sealcoating shields your asphalt pavement from a variety of harmful elements, including fluids that leak from cars and UV radiation. It also makes asphalt pavement more attractive. Depending on factors specific to your property, sealcoating will need to be reapplied every two to four years. Sealcoating should be done after repairs are made but before pavement markings are applied.
- Periodic, thorough cleaning of your pavement should be done as needed. Automotive fluids, deicers, salt, mud, leaf piles and trash can cause or contribute to a variety of problems, including staining, premature pavement deterioration and an increased risk of water penetration. In addition, clean pavement is just more attractive.
- Alligator cracking refers to a pattern of connected cracks that resemble the pattern that the scales on an alligator’s back form. Typically, alligator cracking requires the removal of existing pavement and the installation of new pavement; the base may also need to be repaired.
- If your pavement markings are worn, consider budgeting for new markings. Your pavement will look better, but fresh markings can also help improve safety as drivers and pedestrians are less likely to become confused or miss an important direction.
After you have determined the services that you will need, ask a reputable asphalt sealcoating contractor to provide you with an estimate. If possible, ask him to inspect your pavement and note any issues that you might have overlooked.
B&E Coating Services provides a full range of asphalt maintenance services to customers throughout the Michigan area. We pride ourselves on offering superior results at reasonable prices. Whether you need residential sealcoating, asphalt crack repair, pavement markings, or any other type of asphalt paving services, we can help. Our crews have the training and experience to do the job right the first time, complete work on schedule and provide outstanding customer service. You can receive a free quote by using our online form to send us your information, or you can reach our Reed City asphalt contractors by phone at 989-352-7305.